And this is most certainly a recipe you can commit to memory and prepare on the fly. Even if you are lacking an onion.
And I was just positive I'd blogged it out before. Certainly I'd shared one of my favorite comfort foods, right?!
I was simply aghast when I discovered I had never paid this little gift forward.
How selfish I've been.
Clearly it is time I remedy this situation.
So here you are . . .
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
8 slices thick bacon, chopped (my favorite is from Nueske's. And no, I do not think it strange to mail order bacon. In bulk.)
1 onion, chopped
4 cups al-dente cooked pasta (left-overs work just as well as freshly cooked)
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon until the meat is browned and crispy. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the and the onion until it begins to caramelize.
- Add the crispy bacon back to the pan.
- Add the pasta (if using cold day-old pasta, cook until it’s just warmed through, about 1 minute).
- Reduce heat to low. Pour the egg-and-cheese mixture into the skillet. Stir continuously until the pasta is coated with the eggs and they have begun to solidify. Be patient. Do not rush this step or you will end up with noodles surrounded by scrambled eggs. What you want is noodles coated in creamy goodness.
- Season with the salt and pepper. Serve immediately, with extra grated Parmesan on the side
This dish never fails to please.
So, what is your favorite no-fail, on-the-fly comfort food? Are you too willing to share?